Selling a house is more than about putting your property in the market or contacting a realtor. It is also important to make your home saleable or appealing to potential buyers. Certain renovation projects can increase your home value and attract buyers and get a better return on investment (ROI).
Here are a few things that can help increase your home value:
Increase your curb appeal
The exterior of your house is the first thing people notice, so it is important to make it attractive and inviting. Increasing your curb appeal can be as simple as adding a fresh coat of paint to your door or replacing your existing door hardware and locks. You can also add plant and flower boxes and make sure that the walkway area is clean.
Here a few other affordable curb appeal projects:
- Add new house numbers.
- Upgrade your mailbox.
- Install new light fixtures.
- Wash and clean exterior windows.
- Improve your lawn (remove weeds or apply lawn spray paint to your grass).
Upgrade or remodel your kitchen
Remodeling this part of the house can be quite pricey, especially for bigger upgrades like replacing the countertop or changing the kitchen layout. So, before you take on a costly project, it may be a good idea to know how much the renovations will cost you, the percentage (or amount) you’ll gain, and the things you can do to minimize expenses. You can also go with minor projects that won’t break the bank.
- Repaint cabinets and replace hardware.
- Upgrade your light fixtures.
- Add a new or replace old kitchen sink.
- Repaint walls (or just one wall).
- Add a back splash (try peel-and-stick options).
Improve or upgrade your roof
The roof is an integral part of your home’s construction, so its condition will affect your home’s overall appearance. If your roof is aging, damaged, or badly needed repairs, it is best to replace it or have a residential roofing company assess it. Roof renovations can be pricey because it is not a DIY project. They will, however, improve your home’s appearance and attract buyers.
On the other hand, if your roof doesn’t need any repairs but has stains, algae, and looks dirty, cleaning can make a difference. This can improve the appearance of the roof as well as help extend its life. Just make sure not to do it on your own, as roof cleaning is not a DIY job. It is better and safer to call professional roof cleaners.
Add an extra appeal to your master suite
Win over potential home buyers by updating the look of your bedroom. For a low-cost way to improve the area, repaint the walls with a lighter color to make the room look more spacious. You can also rearrange the furniture or create a new furniture layout. Cleaning and decluttering the space can also bring positive cosmetic changes in the room.
You can also do some bigger upgrades if your budget allows you. Installing a new floor can change the look or the space without some major constructions. Choose durable and easy to clean to flooring materials like hardwood or bamboo. You can also choose to add or enlarge a walk-in closet, but keep in mind that this can cost quite a lot, depending on the changes needed.
Replace your garage door
Apart from increasing curb appeal and making a good first impression, a new garage door can also boost your home’s resale value. It may impress neighbors and potential buyers, which can then offer a solid return on investment (ROI). About 70% of realtors also agree that a new garage door helps in selling a house faster. It can also reduce energy loss and therefore lower the home’s energy cost.
Other things to keep in mind
Upgrades can renovations can take some time, money, and effort, depending on the project’s scope. It is best to choose the right projects that work best for your situation and budget. Below are a few tips to consider when tackling upgrades or renovations.
- Decide on a budget — Determine and know what you can afford and stick to it.
- Look for financing options — When you need major upgrades but don’t have enough budget, you may need to borrow money through a personal loan or home equity loan.
- Consider the neighborhood — Don’t overdo it with renovations and upgrades if they make your home the most expensive one on the block or neighborhood.
- Call the pros for specialized jobs — Some tasks and projects are best left to professionals. Ask for recommendations from friends and get a cost estimate from the contractors before hiring them.
Several improvement projects increase the value of your house. It is best to focus your efforts on upgrades that can add comfort, character, and appeal to your home.